It is known as L-ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin that is naturally present in some foods and available as a dietary supplement. Humans, unlike most animals, are unable to synthesize vitamin C. Vit C is absorbed through the mucosa of the small intestine then through the liver and then distributed to tissue throughout the body. Vitamin C is probably best known as an antioxidant.
- Helps to protect cells and keeps them healthy.
- Helps in the formation of collagen, a major component of all connective tissues in the body.-skin, bones, teeth, muscle, tendon, cornea,
- Helps in healing wounds.
- Favors the fixation of calcium in the bones.
- Helps with the absorption of iron and Vit B9.
- Lowers cholesterol levels. But undoubtedly the function involved in preventing and curing the common cold by boosting the immune system.
- Vitamin C cannot be stored in the body.
- You should be able to get all the vitamin C you need from your daily diet.
- Oxidized readily by light, air and especially when heated. Therefore the preparation and storage of food conditions must be taking into consideration.
- Smoking will reduce Vit C in the body by 25 mg per cigarette !!
Good sources of vitamin C
All of citrus fruits: orange, grapefruit, lime, and lemon are excellent sources of vitamin C. Many non-citrus fruits are highly rated sources, as well. Papaya, strawberries, pineapple, kiwifruit, cantaloupe, and raspberries . Cranberries, blueberries, and watermelon are examples of very good sources, while apples, pears, and bananas are in the good category..
Good Vegetables to eat :
- Brussel sprout
- Red and green peppers
- 1mediumPotatoes baked
- ½ cup Spinach
- 1 cup Winter squash
- 1 medium Sweet potatoes
- Fresh green beans
- Others source :
- Calfs Liver