For the Pumpkin Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 butternut , cut in slices and seeded
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup natural yoghurt /or cream fresh
For the Cranberry Compote
- 2 cups fresh cranberries /I cup dried cranberries
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
For the Roasted Chestnuts
- 10 fresh walnuts, chopped up.
- Prepare the Pumpkin Soup:
- Preheat oven to 180 C degrees. Line baking sheets with wax baking paper. Coat each butternut with a little olive oil , and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Roast until tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until translucent. Add garlic, curry, and nutmeg; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Set aside
- When pumpkin is cool enough to handle, using a spoon, scrape flesh from skin . Add to the onions and garlic mixture ,stir in stock, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce to a simmer, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Cranberry Compote: In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup water, cranberries, zest; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer, cooking until it reaches a jam-like consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Add the yoghurt (be careful it is not to hot the yohurt will coagulate )or cream fresh and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle soup into warmed bowls. Garnish with a dollop of cranberry compote and a sprinkling of walnuts ; serve immediately.