The month of September
Once upon a time nature provided us with a perfect varied diet,this in turn gave an added dimension to everyday eating in that we could enjoy anticipating what each month in each year we would bring and really look forward to it .
Now day we can eat almost any thing we feel like!
This creates an added problem due to the travel time the fruit and veggies been picked immature and unripened with a resulting loss of flavor and nutritional quality.
Leeks are a very fine veggie, they lend themselves to other flavours like potatoes,in a soup or with cheese (leek with goats chees tart),in salads with vinaigrette and in a stir fry they are great. The thinner they are sliced the more tasty they are .
Aubergines have a great capacity to absorb other flavours mixed with Tomatoes and spices, cheese or pulses.
Aubergines are very low in calories and fats but rich in soluble fiber content.
They contains good amounts of many essential B-complex groups of vitamins .These vitamins are essential in the sense that body requires them from external sources to replenish and required for fat, protein and carbohydrate metabolism.Further, this vegetable is an also good source of minerals like manganese, copper, iron and potassium. The best way to cook them is in the oven roasted or on a grill frying pan.
other veggies in Season :
- Bell peppers
- Cabbage (green, Napa, red, Savoy)
- Shelling beans
Winter squash (acorn, butternut)
Char-Grilled Aubergine with roasted tomatoes Salad .
2 medium aubergines
4 large tomatoes
200g feta cheese
salad leaves or rockette
8 sundried tomatoes
7 Tablespoons of oilive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
200 ml Greece yoghurt
salt and pepper
- skin the tomatoes with covering them in boiling water .
- cut them in half and place them on a baking tray, season with Salt and Pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil .place in the oven and bake for 50 min at 200 degreeC
- Cut the aubegines in 1 cm slices and salt and let them stand for 30 min to drain .
- Brush them on both sides with the olive oil and heat the grill pan and when it is hot cook them until a golden brown colour.
- Make the dressing :
- add the olive oil, basil, balsalmic vinegar together and shake the dressing . Cover the hot aubergines with the dress and let them cool.
- Arrange the salad leaves and top them with the tomatoes and aubergines and feta. Add the sundried tomatoes and pore the dressing over and top with a little yoghurt.